May I please draw your attention to the minutes shown below. It is important that we all stand together to oppose this application and the minutes show the strength of opinion against it. I have much more information and should be happy to pass this on to everyone who gets back to me. Can I please encourage you to register your objections on the Council website.
Many thanks and Happy New Year
Minutes for the meeting of Higher Green/ Links Road residents to discuss the planning application for back lands of 23A-33 Links Road
2/1/15, 7.30pm at 31 Links Road Planning Application 14/01374/FUL
Around 33 people attended the meeting, from Links Road, Higher Green and Longdown Road. It was unanimously agreed that the application should be vigorously opposed.
The meeting was initially addressed by Cllr Julie Morris, who outlined the process of applying for planning and how to object to a planning application. Please see Julia’s notes attached to this email.
She informed the meeting that the deadline for comments to the Planning officer has been extended to 23/01/15, due to the unfortunate timing of the notification to affected residents over the Christmas period.
- Letters to Planning should be factual, not emotional and relate to national and local planning policy. We need as many as possible. Friends and family should be commandeered. More than one person per household can comment.
- As many people as possible should go and speak to the Planning Officer about your concerns. You can turn up at the Town Hall any weekday between 10 and 11am.
- Posters are to be distributed to be put up in upstairs and downstairs windows to advertise opposition. Need to get the word out to as many people as possible to raise public awareness.
Planning Committee Meeting
The next Planning Committee Meeting is on 12th Feb. Agenda comes out 5 days before. If the application is not on the Agenda, it means that it has been rejected.
However, it is likely that it will be resubmitted in an amended form. The next meetings following this are 12th March and 16th April, with agendas again coming out 5 days prior. Julie noted that after this, there would be a completely new Planning Committee, due to the General Election. We do not know the implications of this.
Action at the committee meeting
Julie recommended that a spokesperson for the residents group be identified to speak at the committee meeting. Peter Donnachie (23a Links Road) has offered to do this.
In addition, as many people as possible need to turn up to observe the meeting. Heckling is not allowed, but banners are. Public opinion counts.
She also urged residents to email county councillors with comments as well as the planning committee.
- The Saturday before the Committee meeting, (which is on a Thursday), councillors on the Planning Committee has a site visit at around 10am. We need to be there in force to show our opposition.
- Some Relevant Issues discussed
- · Overdevelopment
- · Lack of green space
- · Interruption of wildlife corridor
- · Inappropriate Design
- · Density not in keeping with area
- · Surface water flooding
- · Reduced security for surrounding properties
- · Potentially offset junction being created
- · Potential root damage to trees with shallow roots on shallow chalk soils on neighbours’ boundaries
- · Sets a precedent for the area
- · Not in keeping with area
- · Loss of privacy
- · Increased noise, light and air pollution
- · Loss of amenity
- · Loss of wildlife habitats
- · Parking
- · Access
- · Covenants on land
- · Send in as many comments as possible. I have submitted my letter to the Planning Department. Please use it if you want to help you formulate your letter, in terms of issues and relevant policies, but please put it in your own words. If you have trouble accessing the letter online, let me know and I will email it to you.
- · Email/ write to County Councillors.
- · Put up posters. Susan Minihan to print and distribute to Links Road, Longdown Road and Anne Marie Evans, to distribute to Higher Green. Need volunteers to distribute to other roads. Please let Sarah Dewing know if you are able to help with this.
- · Meet with Planning Officer, weekdays 10-11am.
- · Sign a group letter from concerned residents in Longdown Road, Links Road and Higher Green, which will be handed to the Planning Officer before 23rdJanuary. Need volunteers from each road to get signatures ASAP. The letter should be ready by Monday or Tuesday. Please let Sarah Dewing know if you are happy to help.
At the meeting, I was handed a copy of a letter to Mark Berry, Head of Planning and Building Control at EEBC from Alan Baker, Vice Chairman of the Epsom Civic Society, expressing concern about the proposal.
Also, I have received an email from Ruth Sharma from CWRA expressing concern and a willingness to send an objection on their behalf.
I am really grateful both to those of you are who are directly affected by this proposed development and those of you who are not but who recognise the potential harm this proposal could do to our quality of life.
As I said at the meeting, I will be out of action from 11th January until mid February. Fortunately, both Sara Philips (43 Links Road, 07980691902, firstname.lastname@example.org) and Peter Donnachie (23a Links Road, 01372723199, email@example.com) have offered to stand in and keep things moving forward until I am back in action. Please contact them with any concerns.
Finally, please let me know by Wednesday 7th Jan if you are not happy to have your contact details circulated to other concerned residents. Not everyone indicated this at the meeting. I would like to email a contact list to those who are happy to do this, so we can keep in touch and up to date.
Good luck with it all.